An HA member asks:What are some things or foods that may trigger anxiety? Thanks.
- Christine – Caffeine and anything that spikes your blood sugars
- Stephanie – Caffeine and a lot of sugar I found both gives me the shakes
- Vincent – Good question!!
- Steven – For me its crap food. If I eat a lot of greasy food, processed/junk and have to go out into certain social situations I feel more anxious.. luckily any kind of fruit and some water makes me feel so much better!
- Rebecca – sugar and caffeine
- Tabitha – Caffeine. There is a such thing called caffeine toxicity, which creates the same symptoms as anxiety & panic disorders.
- Racheal – I agree with Steven Otero…
If I eat crappy food I tend to have more anxiety. If I eat healthy… unprocessed foods I feel better….Brandy – Caffeine for sure! I made the mistake of getting hot cocoa when it started getting cold. Felt kinda dumb when I finally realized a week later that my increased panic attacks were probably because of that!
I also get migraines and panic attacks when I have red food dye.
I was able to get off all my anxiety meds when I went gluten free. I did have other symptoms off gluten intolerance too.
Non food things that trigger my anxiety…. Crowds, bright lights, loud noises, sensory overload, feeling rushed, feeling crowded, feeling judged, making decisions, communicating my thoughts and feelings, being alone, …. I could go on forever. LoL
I’ve been diagnosed with every anxiety disorder there is, so pretty much everything makes me anxious. I’ve learned what a lot of my triggers are through counseling and years and years of dealing with it. Everyone is different and everyone has different triggers.
- Jane – Coffee for me
- Stephanie – Refined Sugar and high fructose corn syrup, caffeine, sometimes carbs.
- Luke – Greasy n caffeine
- Stacy – But I work nights….coffee is a must! Crap
- Kim – Caffeine is a big one here! I drink water, tons of water, and even more water when I’m feeling anxious. I don’t know if it really helps but in my head it does!
- Dannielle – Caffeine( I can drink a couple of cups of coffee, but I do have to drink lots of water with it), too much sugar, junk food and greasy food. Also eating to much. I have found drinking lots if water when I start to feel anxious helps relive it.
- Sandra – not much as i dont eat enough to know the difference.xx
- Hayley – Food in general causes me anxiety it’s my real fear
- Brandy – Not eating can also cause anxiety because it causes your blood sugars to drop. Eating small, regular meals can help regulate blood sugars and therefore anxiety levels.
- Su – Coffee and chocolate put me in a excited mood after a while
- Lisa – Sorry lol…..idk why but donuts do it to me
- Su – Yea, ^^^^ I agree with above…. I’m diabetic and don’t tell the difference often between a high/low bs and anxiety … They all make my heart palpatate, sweat, and need to lie down
- Amber – For me, it can be spicy foods or even hot teas or soups due to it making my face sweat and heating me up.
Coffee if I’m not working or drink too much.
And… Anything that makes me gassy when anyone is around or if I’m in public! Don’t need to explain that one…
- Moe – Things trigger me, like I haul trucks and also some scents.
- Angie – MSG
- Sevyn – I get so anxious trying to figure out what to eat i just rather not eat.
- Rue – For me, sugary cereals…certain types of sugar
- Coleen – Red bull.
- Amber – Chinese food and anything with caffeine for me
- James – I found a product that’s all natural that has really helped
- Anne – Lots of coffee
- Amber – Mines the same as moe Moe Malinda Brown its usually things or what’s going on
- Ceri – Any soda or caffeine.
- High Anxieties Lots of great answers here. I also try to limit caffeine. Sugary foods make me feel bad. Also, stomach problems trigger my anxiety. It’s frustrating. Anxiety causes stomach problems…. It’s a constant cycle with me. Send me your questions thanks to all of you. ~Shirley
- Break Free – Any thing that contains stimulants coffee, tea, soda, energy drinks, chocolate (but it also has feel good stuff in it) Excedrin, refined carbohydrates-but for other reasons. We teach our patients to balance their blood sugar, increase digestion, heal their bowels, fill their nutritional gaps, hydrate and detox to help with all the symptoms we get.
- Heidi – Anything to do with my younger sister. Am in a trying time and she’s a big part of it.
- Jo – For me ironically it is gassy vegetables, broccoli, cucumbers, cabbage, the vegetables trigger my non ulcer dyspepsia and ibs which makes me panic and break out into a sweat.
- Tiffany – Chinese food=MSG. ..makes me have one every time
- Sandra – Caffeine is a big one. Sugars, alcohol, too much protein, not eating when your should, and food you may have allergies to, even if it’s small. Anything that is a stimulant have the capability to increase anxiety, but it also depends on the person. For me caffeine has to be light but I can consume it, I can consume sugars fine, but if my blood sugar drops too low, I get anxiety. Everyone responds differently.
- Nathan – Look into FODMaps. Read all the info and do it properly or you could be excluding foods to the point your restrictive diet becomes un-healthy. You may be sensitive to a few food groups, but still tolerate small amounts. For me, my big triggers are wheat, fructose, lactose and too much caffine, onions or garlic.
- Angela – Just that feeling of being full like when u over eat triggers anxiety in me.
- Amy – Surprised Noone mentioned artificial sweeteners. Huge trigger, and medically documented and studied as horrible for brain health
- Barbara – Last Wednesday when my car died in traffic, went to work the next morning SOB all the idiots flipping me off & beeping their car horns & giving me dirty looks….REALLY??? I needed 4 Klonopin for my teeth to unclench
- Sky – Meat triggers my anxiety… Or anything i don’t like. My boyfriends always mocking my eating disorder and it makes me so nervous sometimes that i will puke..
- Lori – Caffeine,
- Amira – That’s why my brother once said that he didn’t like coffee because it made his heart beat too fast whenever he drank it !!